My art focuses on my daily experiences as a woman, my love of the natural world, and my interest in art history - the Surrealists and the Pre-Raphaelites, in particular.
I like juxtaposing images of women with objects, items, and/or animals that relate to women - or have been historically used by men in reference to women (e.g. “Hey, check out that bird/chick over there”). The eye theme, which also appears in my work, is reference to unexpected eyes in art throughout history (including in Surrealist works and upon the dress of Elizabeth I in The Rainbow Portrait). The eye also represents the artist’s observation of the natural world and the idea of woman being both the watcher and the watched.
The element of color, its formal aspects and its ability to convey emotion, also plays a large role in my work. In my series of color photographs, The Invisible Woman Around the House, (which you can view on Flickr), I address the role of woman as homemaker and housekeeper - doing the laundry, cooking, cleaning . . . . the invisible woman around the house. All we can see is her underwear. My earlier paintings and videos address this topic, as well.
- Savannah College of Art and Design, Savannah, Georgia, Master of Fine Art: Painting
- The Atlanta College of Art, Atlanta, Georgia, Bachelor of Fine Art: Photography
- Oglethorpe University, Atlanta, Georgia, Bachelor of Art: Dual Degree Program with the Atlanta College of Art
- New York University, New York, NY, Coursework: Painting
- Armstrong State University, Savannah, Georgia, Coursework: Art Education
- The University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia, Coursework: Drawing, Jewelry & Metalwork
- Georgia Southern University, Statesboro, Georgia, Coursework: French, and Art of the Italian Renaissance
- 2016 A Bird on the Tongue, Georgia State University - Perimeter Studio Gallery, Clarkston, Georgia
- Panties and Pumps, Rapid Transit Gallery, Savannah, Georgia
Recent and Current Group Exhibitions
- 2018 - Members Exhibit - OCAF (Oconee Cultural Arts Foundation) Watkinsville, Georgia
- 2018 - postmART - OCAF (Oconee Cultural Arts Foundation) Watkinsville, Georgia
- 2018 - Roll Out The Barrels rain barrel auction and fundraiser - May 24 from 6:00 to 9:00 PM at Akademia Brewing Company. Click HERE to view.
- 2018 - Media Circus - Trio Contemporary Art Gallery - Athens, Georgia
- 2018 - Marigold Festival Art Exhibition - Winterville Center for Community and Culture Gallery - Winterville, Georgia
- 2017 - Members' Showcase - ATHICA - Athens Institute for Contemporary Art - Work highlighted in a Flagpole Magazine feature about this show.
- 2016 - Georgia State University | Perimeter College Visual Arts Faculty Exhibit, Jim Cherry Learning Resource Gallery, Clarkston, Georgia
- 2015 - Georgia Perimeter College Visual Arts Faculty Exhibition, Main Fine Arts Gallery, Clarkston, Georgia
- 2014 -2012 - Georgia Perimeter College Annual Visual Arts Faculty Exhibit, Jim Cherry Learning Resource Gallery, Clarkston, Georgia
Past Group Exhibitions
- Saatchi Online Artist of the Day for December 13th
- South Georgia College Art Showcase, Peterson Art Gallery, Douglas, Georgia
- Icarus, The Savannah Gallery, Atlanta, Georgia
- Icarus, Red Gallery, Savannah, Georgia
- Whatever Your Art Desires, Silent Auction, The Community Center of Charlotte, Charlotte, North Carolina
- Jewels of the South, Sarah Bain Gallery, Fullerton, California
- Valdosta Works on Paper Exhibition, Valdosta State University, Valdosta, Georgia
- Big Picture, Savannah College of Art and Design, Savannah, Georgia
- Clay Along the 33rd Parallel, The 5th Annual Ceramics Exhibition, Angelo State University, San Angelo, Texas
- Fourth Annual Peach Belt Art Exhibition, Milledgeville, Georgia
- Fine Arts Lobby, Armstrong State University, Savannah, Georgia
- Fine Arts Gallery, Armstrong State University, Savannah, Georgia
- Lane Library, Savannah, Georgia
- Lowery Hall, Atlanta, Georgia
- Oglethorpe University Gallery of Art, Atlanta, Georgia